Sunday 13 November 2011

04 Nov 11 Bogo, Cebu


Today my cousin Mary Ann took me to meet my cousin Lim.  He runs Caswell Sports Apparel, a small tailor’s shop that my mother financed over 30 years ago.  Lim is cool, and I like him very much.  He is 40, has three kids and a wife to look out for.  The shop is doing ok but he has to work pretty hard for what he has – nothing new there!   Of course, he has upper cross syndrome from hunching over sewing machines - his rhomboids are rock solid and his pecs are short.  I showed him how to stretch out a bit and told him to sit up straight.

My awesome cousin Lim with his freshly made shorts:




After visiting Lim we went to the Bogo Public Market and bought some veggies, then went home and made lumpia.  (Sorry Pete, I promise I’ll make some for you when I get home.)  Lumpia, for the uninitiated, are the Filipino version of spring rolls.  They are fantastically delicious and are so fattening it’s just not funny anymore.  I make them, but not very often because they are deep fried and I try really hard not to cook food in this way.  I want us to live.

1 comment:

  1. This brings a million childhood memories. Manoy Lim was like my father's apprentice. It brings me joy to see that he is OK. I bet you most of those sewing machines are still the ones from my father's time. It's like a museum! :)

    ReplyDelete