Thursday 27 October 2011

Oct 28, 2011 - Part II

There are no buses.  There are no taxis.  We wasted a fair few hours waiting for any mode of public transport to make an appearance, but no such luck.  The school van did not go on its daily run to Mahidol University.  Salaya hospital is flooded.  There's no answer at Nakhon Chaisi hospital.  Phutthamonthon Hospital phone number isn't valid.  Mahidol University Clinic is closed until Nov 1.  Hmmm.

One of the online news channels said that the Thai gov't has made Oct 27-31 national holidays.  This will give people a chance to move their families or protect their properties as best as they can.  I don't know if these are paid holidays, I sure hope so.  The airport is full of Bangkok people heading north, where the water has already been.  Some of my classmates are planning a trip to Chiang Mai, and I hope they can make it!

I called the US Embassy and had a conversation about hospitals.  The BNH (Bangkok International Hospital) is still accepting non-life threatened outpatients.  However, getting into Bangkok might be a bit tricksy - the trains are running on a reduced schedule as well.

Chetawan has changed the exam schedule in light of the flooding.  We now have to take our one-hour exam tomorrow and our 90 min relaxing massage w/herbal compression exam on Saturday.  We also take our written exam Saturday afternoon.  Tonight is going to be a no-sleeper cram session.  I haven't done one of these since college, and am not looking forward to it very much.  I have lots of tea and coffee.

The school has agreed to send its van to the airport on Saturday afternoon and again on Sunday.  I see this as a possible means of getting my next vaccination - I can take the Skytrain into Bangkok and make my way to the BNH, and then back to the school.  We'll see how it all plays out, I might just get on a train and head back to Hua Hin. I don't know what the sea will be like once all that water flows through Bangkok though :-(

I am waiting to hear from my mother, or from the people in the family I have contacted in hopes of getting her phone number in Cebu.  If I can contact her I will book flights and leave Sat or Sun, and get my rabies jab there.  I'm trying to keep my options open - outwardly I'm a little ragged around the edges but staying as close to calm as possible for little old Type A me, and internally my brain is spinning like a gyro, trying to figure out a way out of this little predicament.

The dog bite marks are healing up, and the antibiotics have stopped the budding infection in its tracks.  I just might live through this one.  I know I have a few days' grace with this rabies vaccination thing, but want to keep on track if at all possible. 

I best go do some more cramming before the dawn breaks.  Nothing like a little stress at my age to keep the pipes clear, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment